Aspire and Achieve

Aspire and Achieve

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Exclusive Interview with Mdm Shao: “A Strict Master will Educate Great Apprentices”

Early this January, Evergreen Secondary School had the honour of having Vice-principal, Mdm Shao Rong from Wuxi Middle School on a three weeks’ visit. Hann Shen and Amira had the privilege to have a brief but enlightening interview with Mdm Shao.




What was your first impression of EVG?


I am very impressed with Evergreen Secondary School. What caught my attention would be mainly the facilities, teachers and students as well as the Co-curricular Activities (CCA).


Your school is indeed very clean and beautiful. I feel that the layout of the school is very well-designed and it has many supporting facilities such as the Library and Computer Laboratories.


Secondly, students are well behaved during lessons. They are keen learners and are very capable. I can see that they are motivated and eager to learn. Other than that, I think that the teachers are wonderful. They are strict but kind. That is very important as there is a saying “A strict master will educate great apprentices.” They are also experienced teachers who have good teaching strategies like Cooperative Learning.



In terms of CCA activities, I think that they are very fantastic. There is such a wide variety that all students can select one to meet their interests.


Our school is a National Education centre. On your visit here, have you learnt more about Singapore’s history from the different corners in our school?


Yes, I have and I feel that “the walls in this school talk”. By just taking a walk around the school, I learnt much historical facts that I have not known before I came to Singapore.


Are there any similarities between your school in Wuxi Middle School and Evergreen Secondary School?



My school is more academic-oriented as a whole. In terms of CCA, only the lower secondary has two years of CCA. On the other hand, your school emphasises on holistic education. Every child has an opportunity to take up a CCA and the choice of CCA is really varied. I really feel that your school has a better holistic education. I believe that the students here have a meaningful and fulfilling life as a student in Evergreen Secondary School.


Interview by Creative Circle


Hann Shen of 4 Aspire and Syaheera Amira of 3 Integrity


No comments: