Aspire and Achieve

Aspire and Achieve

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Odyssey of the Mind 2010

Odyssey of the Mind


In the month of April, two teams of students from Evergreen Secondary School participated in the Odyssey of theMind competition held annually at Anglo-Chinese School (Independent). Every year, Odyssey of the Mind presents students new challenges to solve. These challenges include a long term problem where students in teams solve either technological conundrums or issues that involve performing and artistic approaches. It takes weeks and months for teams to solve. At the competition, there will be a ‘spontaneous’ round where teams will have to solve problems on the spot.



Having the experience of participation for two years, I have learnt to balance my studies and extracurricular activities. It has also boosted my confidence on stage as I feel that I am now a more self-assured speaker. Working with my team for months has also taught me teamwork and helped me in my leadership position as a prefect. There were a lot of sacrifices made by my team members and myself. Late nights and struggling to finish our homework were some of the difficulties that we had to overcome.



Nevertheless, the stress and pressure was the biggest fear we had to overcome. We were competing with top schools who were way more experienced than us. However we knew that we had done our best and our teachers were there to support us no matter what the score was. When the results were released, it was an improvement compared to last year. Our 1st team was ranked 7th out of 9 schools and our second team ranked 5th out of 6 schools.



Here are the thoughts of the team members on their whole experience.



‘I learnt how to be creative and how to think on the spot. I also learnt to have team communication,’ said Adam Tan from 3 Aspire. ‘However, the difficult problems were time management and team work.’



When asked about how it felt like competing with the top schools and in the spontaneous round, Siti Nur Afiqah from 2 Aspire said, ‘It is very intense having to come up with the answers right on the spot while at the same time being creative as I can.’



When asked about how it felt to compete with the leading schools of Singapore, Doralyn Geralyna Marsh from 4 Integrity replied, ‘Competing with them can be demoralising. But I joined Odyssey of the Mind because I love drama and thought I could be an asset in representing our school.’



All in all, our school’s Odyssey of the Mind will continue to grow and be a better and stronger team as the EVGians are passionate about drama and stage performance.



Written by Dineetha

No comments: